My birthday’s coming up so I’m mostly putting this here as a reminder for myself.
Chocolate Cake Recipe (with substitutions below):
Note, if you want a two-layer cake, you’ll need to double this.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup water
Icing Recipe (with substitutions):
Note that this is plenty for a double batch of the cake above. If you’re just making a small batch of cupcakes, half this.
- 1/4 cup Earth’s Balance “butter,” melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar